Friday, December 7, 2007

Here we are, as in olden days

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Let your heart be light
From now on, our troubles will be out of sight.

Someday soon, we all will be together
If the fates allow
Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow

So have yourself a merry little Christmas now.

Truer words were never spoken, boy.

I think I WILL have myself a merry little Christmas. Now.

The years go by, and I get sappier. Cripes, I can't wait for the year when "Auld Lang Syne" makes me sigh and slump down in my office chair. That can't be too far off.

Really, though, the version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" that Bert and Ernie sing in Christmas Eve on Sesame Street tugs at my heart strings-- especially since Mr. Hooper is there in that scene, too. Ah, the faithful friends who are dear to us.

It's so awful to lose people. It doesn't even have to be an especially near-and-dear loss to be worth remembering. Sometimes I think about the teachers who made such a difference to me back in elementary school. I'm sure many of them (some, I know for a fact) are gone.

People are so important. Christmas is a great time of year to think about all the things they add to your life. I feel that who we are-- the conglomerate identity of each person-- is really just a collage, a smattering of papers and daubs of paint, that everyone adds to. And wherever you go, whomever you spend your time with-- these things add to your texture and color and make you the piece of art you are. Whether you like it or not.

No comments: