Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Christmas cards




Yesterday I had a mission: Christmas cards.

I wanted to be really creative and put together some kind of special, handmade Christmas cards for my friends, so I went to Ben Franklin's (the poor man's Michaels) to pick up some dandy supplies. I really should've brought some of my art supplies with me when I moved, but I figured I'd be so science-science-science-all-day-all-night that I wouldn't have the time or desire to do anything creative. That has, in fact, turned out to be the case, but I digress.

Unfortunately, after going up and down every craft-ridden aisle in the store, I just couldn't come up with the inspiration or the materials necessary to make a card (let alone 20) that I could be proud of. I used to like rubber stamping, but somehow I just felt my friends deserve better than the tired, campy, stamped-up cardstock I would have churned out. It's cute if Aunt Doris or whoever uses rubber stamps and embossing powder and crazy crafty scissors to do 'em up real nice, but I just lack the funds and personal drive to do rubber stamps the way God intended.

So I bought cards at Target.

I actually think they're pretty cute.

But then, there's the rub. Why just cute? Christmas is so much more than that. Even if you don't believe the same things I do, Christmas should still capture the spirit of It's A Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol (namely the Muppet version). And the older I get, the more those movies mean to me, and I can only assume the same is true for my friends. So isn't it appropriate to try and send cards with such in mind?

However, I have not yet found an age-appropriate, stylish card that relates any real feelings. The message is always something very surface and trite. "Have a nifty holiday." "Seasons Greetings, you thing you."

Invariably, when I find a card with a meaningful message, the front is some sappy oil painting of a rustic, snow-covered lodge or something. And what's the point of sending a card if the front half just isn't interesting to look at?

I would love a card that combined some sort of hip, vintage Christmas picture with the kind of message I really want ("Oh my God, it's CHRISTMAS! And we're all still friends, and we're alive, and we have food and water and presents and people who love us! Isn't it freaking awesome?").

I just settled for "cute" this year.

1 comment:

mcali1981 said...

I think that you should make some of the cards listed below. Can I order them for next year? I'll pay you. ;)

"I would love a card that combined some sort of hip, vintage Christmas picture with the kind of message I really want ("Oh my God, it's CHRISTMAS! And we're all still friends, and we're alive, and we have food and water and presents and people who love us! Isn't it freaking awesome?")."

Love ya and see you soon. ;)