Thursday, April 3, 2008

mmm, lilacs

Spring comes a little earlier in Richmond than it does in Columbus. So it comes as a tiny little extra packet of awesome that, in the alley behind my apartment, there is a LILAC TREE blooming right now. I love lilacs. I snagged a little cluster of blossoms as I drove by on my way to work this morning.

And I kind of wish I hadn't, because they're not my flowers. I don't know who the plant belongs to, but it's not me. I felt bad the minute I plucked it off, because it was pretty selfish, after all. Now I'm the only one who's going to enjoy that little cluster, and at the end of the day it will have wilted. But I'll still enjoy it in the meantime.

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may; old time is still a-flying,
and this same flower that smiles today, tomorrow will be dying."
--Robert Herrick

I don't have anything to follow that with. I'm not really in a "carpe diem" kind of mood right now. Like, I would carpe the diem, but ... I mean ... I gotta wash my hair. er. something.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lauren's having a birthday luau on Saturday... so that means it's time for MADRAS PANTS! That's what it means to me, anyway. That's as close to tropical as my wardrobe gets. Seein' as how I left my sarong and coconut bra in sunny, sunny Ohio.

Plaid pants: always a win.

Other notable events: This Saturday is the Monument Ave. 10K. I guess it's a really big deal around here. A LOT of my friends are running in it. I was urged to sign up multiple times. And see, that's funny, cause... I don't really do that stuff. Maybe next year.

1 comment:

TRD said...

I don't think I could pull of Madras, but to each there own. Some people know how to pull it off...I am not one of those people. :)

10k...that's a serious little run. Sounds like it would be fun, but without any prior conditioning or training it could be rather grueling. You should do it next year. Tell ya what, if you sign up...I may even go run it as well if I'm still in the area. :)

Rob